- CMPDI incorporated as a subsidiary of CIL with four regional institutes at Asansol (Rl-l), Dhanbad (Rl-II), Ranchi (Rl-lll) & Nagpur (RI-IV)
- Preparation of Project Black Diamond - ten years perspective plan of coal.
- Identification and creation of total resource base for exploration and exploitation to enable CIL achieve a quantum jump in production.
- CMPDI becomes nodal agency for co-ordinating & monitoring R&D activities in coal sector
- Establishment at RI-V at Bilaspur & Rl-VI at Singrauli
- Rapid loading system with MGR (6000 tph) planned by CMPDI introduced at Jayant OCP, NCL
- Opencast mines with rope shovels of 10 Cum and RD 85T planned and started
- Development & indigenisation of modern exploration technology
- Introduced intermediate technology employing SDL/LHD in underground mines
- Establishment of RI-Vll at Bhubaneswar
- Special Smokeless Fuel (SSF) technology patented
- Introduction of Satellite Remote Sensing Application in Coal industry
- Advance EMPs for major coalfields planned
- Non-Destructive Testing set up established.
- Opencast mines with rope shovels of 20 Cum & RD 170T planned and started
- First non-coking coal washery at Bina, NCL planned and commissioned
- Operational planning for major mines started
- Earth Science Museum opened at Ranchi
- Turn Key construction of Bharatpur CHP (3.5 Mty), MCL
- Network of Environment Labs established. Received accreditation from Central Pollution Control Board
- First ever major overseas consultancy assignment in Tanzania
- LAN established at CMPDI (HQ), Ranchi
- Introduction of non-coring drilling with geophysical logging
- Introduction of In-seam seismic survey
- Mine planning through MINEX software introduced
- ISO 9001 certification obtained for CMPDl's services
- Diversified into Management System Consultancy
- 'Vision Coal 2025' Draft document prepared on behalf of MoC
- The ISO certification was upgraded to ISO-9001:2000
- A project Integrated Coal Resources Information System (ICRIS) taken up under the Scheme of Promotional Exploration of coal and lignite to create coal resource database as per the UN International Framework Classification guidelines
- Project on 'e-information centre on coal and lignite' under R&D programme of Coal India Ltd. started
- Delineation of seven prospective CBM blocks and preparation of their data package for Directorate General of Hydrocarbons
- Implementing agency on behalf of CIL for collaborative development of CBM prospects in Jharia & Raniganj coalfields by the consortium of CIL & ONGC
- Conferred with the status of a Mini Ratna (Category-II) company in May 2009
- Obtained the Highest MoU rating with a Composite MoU Score of 1.0 (maximum) for the year 2009-10.
- Adjudged the Best performing Subsidiary Company of CIL for the year 2008-09 as per MoU rating.
- India CMM/CBM Clearinghouse was established in CMPDI, Ranchi, Jharkhand in November 2008 at the instance of MoC under the aegis of MoC and USEPA
- Awarded the Commendation Certificate of SCOPE Meritorious Award for R&D, Technology Development & Innovation for the year 2009-10
- MoU with Survey of India for Topographical Mapping in July, 2009
- Laboratory testing facilities for resin and cement capsules (approved by DGMS) established.
- Established state-of-the-art CBM Lab in 2008 for conducting CBM related studies
- Prepared Model Bid document for construction of washery on Built-Operate-Maintain (BOM) basis
- Prepared Standardised Global Bid for Mass Production technology in underground mines
- E-Library established at CMPDI during 2008-09
- Planning of 50 Mty OC mine for SECL at Kusmunda which is the largest mine planned in India till date
- Major consultancy works in metal mining sector for Manganese Ore (India) Ltd., Hindustan Copper Ltd., Hutti Gold Mines Co. Ltd., etc. taken up
- Successfully implemented the UNDP/GEF/GoI funded CBM/CMM recovery and utilisation demonstration project at Moonidih mine of BCCL
- Monitoring of land use in large opencast mines of CIL by remote sensing started
- Interconnection of all Regional Institutes (RIs) with HQ, Ranchi established through MPRL system/li>
- Crossed the target of 4 lakh metre drilling in a year with outsourcing during 2009-10 for the first time
- High Capacity Hydro-static Drills introduced for faster rate of drilling
- Peak productivity of 1464 metre achieved by a Hydrostatic drill (CT-1) during the month of March, 2012 which is the highest productivity achieved in coring drilling in the country
- Guidelines for preparation of Mine Closure for adoption by coal companies prepared
- Coal resources and reserves of CIL classified as per the United Nations Framework Classification (UNFC).
- Captured Coal Resource data of the country in digital form to create a data base on all the coalfields of India as part of project entitled Integrated Coal Resource Information System (ICRIS)
- Draft assessment reports prepared for Delineation of prospective CBM blocks for their award under CBM Round-V for commercial development by Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH) through International competitive bidding and Delineation of prospective areas for shale gas resource in Damodar Valley and Sohagpur Basins
- Received Geospatial World Excellence Award 2012 in recognition of excellent usage of Geospatial technology for Land Reclamation Monitoring of Coal Mines